Vernon Residential Garbage and Recycling Program (as of January 2021)
The Town contracts with Triple T to collect household garbage, trash and recycling once a week on Thursdays. If a holiday falls on a Thursday, the pickup is on Friday.
For household garbage and trash, you must use Pay-As-You-Throw bags, which you purchase at:
- Town Hall (Town Clerk’s Office, Library or Treasurer’s Office), currently closed under COVID
- Vernon Recreation Department, currently closed under COVID
- Cold Brook General Store
- J Spec on Pond Road
- The Guilford Store
The price of the bags includes the cost to collect and dispose of the garbage:
- Large bags, $21 per roll of five ($4.20 each), 33 gallons, hold about 35 lbs.
- Small bags, $12.50 per roll of five bags ($2.50 each), 15 gallons, or 20 lbs.
The purpose of the state-mandated Pay-As-You-Throw system is that residents pay more as they throw away more garbage, which should encourage them to recycle more, reduce and reuse items and ultimately send less to landfills. There is no fee to residents for curbside recycling—the Town pays the cost of household recycling through the contract with Triple T and businesses pay for their own recycling.
Household garbage, trash and recycling does NOT include:
- Leaves, brush, tires, metal or furniture
- Household hazardous waste (paint, chemicals, batteries, electronics, etc)
- Commercial garbage, trash or recycling
If you have commercial garbage, trash or recycling, you are responsible to either contract with a hauler to collect it (normally with a dumpster) or take it to a transfer station (Windham Solid Waste Management District (WSWMD) or Triple T (both in Brattleboro) are the closest.
Some Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) can be brought to WSWMD on a daily basis, including waste oil, paint, and batteries. Starting in April 2021, HHW containers labeled WARNING, POISON, DANGER, CAUTION will be accepted on designated times and dates at a new permanent collection facility. It will be operated seasonally through October of each year. This new facility will replace the annual collection events WSWMD has offered in past years. More info at windhamsolidwaste.org.