Vermont seeking comment about Hud Programs: Each year the State of Vermont - Agency of Commerce and Community Development, Agency of Human Services and Vermont Housing and Conservation Board receives funding for HUD programs through the Consolidated Plan or Annual Plan update process which identifies priorities based on needs from the housing needs assessment, market analysis, citizen and stakeholder input.  At the end of the program year the state is required to report on the performance outcomes outlined from those plans in their Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report (CAPER).  They have completed the FY22 Program Year DRAFT CAPER which includes the outcomes for the following programs: Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) HOME Investment Partnership Program (HOME) Housing Trust Fund (HTF) Emergency Solutions Grant Program (ESG); and Community Development Block Grant CARES Act (CDBG-CV) Emergency Solutions Grant Program CARES Act (ESG-CV).   As a representative for a unit of general local government, please share the attached notice with your local residents including minorities,The state is seeking comments by September 27, 2023.


Volunteer for Vernon! Open board positions & other volunteering opportunities are available

A number of positions are open on various boards and committees, which the Selectboard would like to fill. In addition, there are volunteering opportunities residents may want to consider. The list includes the following:

  • The Vernon Planning and Economic Development Commission has two openings. The PC meets the 2nd Wednesday of each month at 6:30 PM. The PC is currently working on plans for redevelopment of the Vermont Yankee property once decommissioning is completed in 2026. The PC most recently updated the official Town Plan in 2018. It can be viewed here.
  • Two seats are available on the Cemetery Committee, which is active mostly in the spring through fall months overseeing the care of the town’s cemeteries.
  • There are three vacant positions on the Elderly Assistance Board, which coordinates assistance for seniors in need, including snowplowing assistance, helping them to stay in their homes.
  • The town has an open position as Alternate Representative to the Windham County Economic Development Program, which oversees the distribution of grants and loans to Windham County businesses from a pool of money contributed by Entergy under a settlement agreement with the state of Vermont.
  • The Tax Stabilization Committee has one vacant position. This committee is activated at times when it is necessary to renegotiate municipal tax payments with large energy-related entities in Vernon, including the owners of Vermont Yankee and the Vernon Hydroelectric Dam. During these periodic negotiations the work can be intensive; at other times the committee is essentially dormant.
  • The position of Recording Secretary for the Selectboard is vacant. No recruitment is currently taking place, but the board would consider the assistance of a volunteer secretary.
  • The Town Clerk would be glad to have the help of additional volunteers for a variety of clerical jobs in the town office.

For information on the Planning Commission openings, please be in touch with Bob Spencer, Chair, at, or call Bob at 978-479-1450. For all the other opportunities listed, please contact Wendy Harrison, Town Administrator, at, or call Wendy at (802) 257-0292, Ext. 12.