To help limit the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19) Vernon Free Library is closed to the public until further notice, but curbside pickup is available. Please explore the digital resources available on our website.
Curbside Pickup Service available:
Hours for Curbside Pickup: Tuesday and Thursday from 1 pm to 6 pm. Holds must be received by 3 pm on the day before pickup day. Materials will be in a paper bag labeled with your name and located on a cart on the Governor Hunt Rd side of the building. When picking up items, support social distancing and please only ONE person at a time at the cart.
How to place your items on HOLD
- Search for items through the library catalog on the library website and “Place Hold”.
- Or email your request to email@example.com
- Or call the library at 257-0150 and leave a message with your name, phone number and items you would like.
- You will be notified when your items are ready for pickup.
- Items may be placed in the Library RETURN BOX on the Governor Hunt Rd side of the building.
- Returned items will be cleaned and quarantined for 72 hours before they are available for circulation. (Please note this does not guarantee that items are free of COVID-19.)
ONLINE RESOURCES available for all ages! Visit www.vernonfreelibrary.org to access:
- Vermont Online Library – reference databases, periodicals, small business information, genealogy, etc.
- Universal Class – over 500 Online Continuing Education Courses.
- Learning Express – a website that provides training for workplace, academic, and job hunting skills. Prepare for and take as occupation exam, like CDL, law enforcement, teaching, and more. Work on skills for school, from elementary to college, or practice for the SAT, ACT, or GRE. Explore potential careers, based on interest, skills, and future growth. Get support for resumes, cover letters, and interviews, or search for jobs and internships. Prepare for the GED, or work on math and reading for adults.
All made possible by the Vermont Department of Libraries and the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
Enjoy a walk on the beautiful trails and read a picture book! NEW STORY COMING SOON!
WHERE: J. Maynard Miller Town Forest at the top of Basin Road, Vernon
Sponsored by Vernon Free Library!
selection for Thursday,
October 8th @ 5pm
The Reading Group is meeting outside @ the Town Office Building wearing masks & practicing social distancing. Bring a chair.
“Still Alice is a compelling debut novel about a 50-year-old woman’s sudden descent into early onset Alzheimer’s disease, written by first-time author Lisa Genova, who holds a Ph. D in neuroscience from Harvard University.
Alice Howland, happily married with three grown children and a house on the Cape, is a celebrated Harvard professor at the height of her career when she notices a forgetfulness creeping into her life. As confusion starts to cloud her thinking and her memory begins to fail her, she receives a devastating diagnosis: early onset Alzheimer’s disease. Fiercely independent, Alice struggles to maintain her lifestyle and live in the moment, even as her sense of self is being stripped away. In turns heartbreaking, inspiring and terrifying, Still Alice captures in remarkable detail what’s it’s like to literally lose your mind…
Reminiscent of A Beautiful Mind, Ordinary People and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, Still Alice packs a powerful emotional punch and marks the arrival of a strong new voice in fiction.” Amazon
Test your firewood with a moisture meter — available to borrow, free, at the Library!
Every Vermonter knows that burning wet wood is a waste of money and energy. Wood burns most efficiently when the moisture content is between 15- 20%. Green wood can have a moisture content of over 50%.
Dry wood burns hotter, more efficiently, and produces less smoke then wet wood.
A moisture meter is the most reliable way to determine which wood in your wood pile is ready to burn.
Ask your librarian about borrowing a moisture meter to check your wood pile, and visit https://www.epa.gov/burnwise/learn-you-burn-wood-what-you-can-do for additional BurnWise tips.