Fire Department RFP: REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL FOR VERNON FIRE STATION FINISH WORK AND PAINTING Town of Vernon, Vermont   The Town of Vernon, Vermont, (“Town”) is soliciting proposals from qualified companies or individuals for Vernon Fire Station-Finish work, painting of all exterior walls, doors, windows, soffits and trim. Sealed Bids are due by December 6, 2021 at 4:00 pm to: Inquiries and submissions to: Vernon Selectboard, c/o: Shelly Walker Town Administrator, Town of Vernon 567 Governor Hunt Rd., Vernon, VT 05354 (802) 257-2138 Email: vernonta@vernonvt.org Bid opening: Tuesday, December 7, 2021 at 6:30 PM during the Select board meeting. Proposal requirements are available at the Town Clerks office during business hours or via email vernonta@vernonvt.org. This bid request invites responses from experienced and professional contractors to complete finish work on exterior wall around rear garage doors, resurfacing/stucco on cement block walls where needed, repair/replace exterior trim and soffits where needed, caulking around doors and windows as needed, paint the exterior walls, doors, windows, trim, soffits of the Town of Vernon Fire Station located at 2842 Fort Bridgman Rd., Vernon, VT. Submit questions concerning this RFP via email per the schedule outlined above.   The Town reserves the right to reject any or all bids submitted. Bids will be evaluated by the Town based on experience and reputation, understanding of Town requirements, clarity, completeness and price. During the evaluation process, the Town reserves the right, where it may serve in the Town's best interest, to request additional information or clarification from bidders.  

TEST TW WEATHER

Historians corner: Vernon’s Central Park amusement area

By Cheryl Bauer, Vernon Historians

Perhaps you’ve noticed, while traveling south on Rt. 142, this Vermont historical marker on the left side of the road, just beyond the entrance to Vernon Hall. This sign marks the location of Vernon’s very own Central Park. The park was an eight-acre summer amusement area that opened in 1895 and closed in the 1930s.  It was developed by Julius O. Frost (1839-1913), an enterprising landowner, farmer, and grain merchant.  The park included a Lincoln log cabin replica, a pavilion, gazebos, large swings and a trolley-wire ride. Earlier, the town pound was on this land owned by Dr. Cyrus Washburn, Vernon’s first resident physician, Vernon Green Nursing Home and the Vernon Birches now stand on this land.

The Lincoln log cabin at Central Park rotted away, leaving only its chimney standing. That was recently removed by the management of the Vernon Green Nursing Home as part of a landscaping project.

Vernon’s Central Park attracted workers from the Springfield Massachusetts Armory, and its band could use the large pavilion. There were gazebos placed to enjoy the river view, a “zoo” of some of J. O.’s unusual breeds, a version of what today is called a zipline, a replica of Lincoln’s log cabin birthplace, white wooden swings with two slatted seats facing each other. Its advertising also noted “iced water available at intervals,” and “lover’s lanes.”

Lincoln Cabin replica

By virtue of having its own flag stop on the railroad, the Park attracted hundreds of city people to the country. Many came with their own band, for dancing. Factories often had their own bands; locally the Estey Organ factory had one — it composed marches for the Estey Guards each year.

Central Park Entrance
Credit must be given to the late Barbara E. Moseley, as some of this information was taken from an article she submitted to this publication in January, 2018, written about “J.O. Frost, Vernon’s Entrepreneur.”

Because of the on-going pandemic the Historical Museum remains closed for the season. However, if you contact us at our new email address: vernonvermonthistorians@gmail.com we would be happy to answer Vernon history questions or enroll you as a member of the Historians.