Vernon has had one of the highest participation rates (72.6%) among Vermont towns, so far, in the 2020 Census.
But not everyone has responded. If you find yourself in that group, please respond now! Simply visit y2020census.gov. Vernon does receive federal resources (we are awaiting word on a substantial federal economic development grant right now), and having an accurate count can improve the amount of aid we receive.
Some people have asked where they should respond if they have a second home or only spend part of the year in Vernon. You should respond for every property where you live during the course of the year, but only count yourself in one place. Specifically, if you live at multiple places throughout the year, count yourself at the address where you live and sleep most of the time. If you split your time evenly between two or more places, count yourself where you were staying on April 1, 2020. However, a census response is required from each and every property.
For any property you own but only use part of the time, follow these instructions:
- Visit www.my2020census.gov
- Enter the Census ID or address for this secondary property
- Enter “0” for the number of people living at this property
- Hit Next, and when a “soft error” occurs, click Next again
- Select “No” when asked to confirm no person lives at this property
- Select primary reason – Seasonal (most likely)