Fire Department RFP: REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL FOR VERNON FIRE STATION FINISH WORK AND PAINTING Town of Vernon, Vermont   The Town of Vernon, Vermont, (“Town”) is soliciting proposals from qualified companies or individuals for Vernon Fire Station-Finish work, painting of all exterior walls, doors, windows, soffits and trim. Sealed Bids are due by December 6, 2021 at 4:00 pm to: Inquiries and submissions to: Vernon Selectboard, c/o: Shelly Walker Town Administrator, Town of Vernon 567 Governor Hunt Rd., Vernon, VT 05354 (802) 257-2138 Email: Bid opening: Tuesday, December 7, 2021 at 6:30 PM during the Select board meeting. Proposal requirements are available at the Town Clerks office during business hours or via email This bid request invites responses from experienced and professional contractors to complete finish work on exterior wall around rear garage doors, resurfacing/stucco on cement block walls where needed, repair/replace exterior trim and soffits where needed, caulking around doors and windows as needed, paint the exterior walls, doors, windows, trim, soffits of the Town of Vernon Fire Station located at 2842 Fort Bridgman Rd., Vernon, VT. Submit questions concerning this RFP via email per the schedule outlined above.   The Town reserves the right to reject any or all bids submitted. Bids will be evaluated by the Town based on experience and reputation, understanding of Town requirements, clarity, completeness and price. During the evaluation process, the Town reserves the right, where it may serve in the Town's best interest, to request additional information or clarification from bidders.  


‘Hunt’ing Down History, Part 16

By Barbara Emery Moseley

NOTE: This series chronicles the generations of Vernon’s Hunt family, all related to Jonathan Hunt of “Governor Hunt Road” fame. If you’ve missed any installments in this series, you can catch up here!

Severe cold and snow ushered in 1892. Daniel Burnham, construction supervisor at the Columbian Exposition, was living in a construction shanty on the Chicago fair grounds, heated by an immense fireplace. Workmen constructed a moveable enclosure that could be heated, so that “staff” could continue to be applied to the framework of unfinished buildings. Burnham was criticized by both Congress and the local Fair Committee that he was paying wages that were too high. He also built barracks within the park where workers could get three large meals a day and sleep in clean beds in a heated space. They were paid even if kept from working because of injury or illness. It resulted in a loyal work force that gave full measure in its 8-hour day.

Richard Morris Hunt had returned to his New York City office, but kept in touch with architect Charles McKim, who designed the Fair’s Agriculture Building. He visited the shanty and passed on information to Hunt of progress slowly being made.

Lake freighters were unloading wooden crates bearing labels in foreign words and alphabets. Gigantic draft horses drew wagon loads of exhibit materials destined for yet unfinished buildings.

Five trains of 30 cars each delivered steel to the inventor of the “thing” that was to surpass the Eiffel Tower. He was 33-year-old George Washington Gale Ferris. Experienced in railroad and bridge construction, he also knew all of the steel manufacturers, as well as the inspectors who examined each iron part of the giant wheel that would forever bear his name.

Its basic principle was like that of two gigantic bicycle wheels, with rods for spokes, a giant driving chain and sprockets. Hanging between the two were thirty-six cars, each about the size of a Pullman car. Inside each was a refreshment counter, and each was enclosed by plate glass windows and ceilings, allowing passengers to overlook Jackson Park and vast Lake Michigan beyond. Towering to a height of 264 feet, it exceeded the top of the crown of the Statue of Liberty, now already in place for six years, on its pedestal designed by Richard Morris Hunt.

At full capacity, the Big Wheel, as it was called, would propel 2,160 people at a time above the Exposition, so that all the buildings could be viewed. It became the most popular attraction of the Exposition and thousands rode it every day and it was a huge money maker.

After the Exposition closed, the Wheel was moved to the north side of Chicago. However, it was now no longer an attraction and lost money. Coupled with a countrywide Depression, Ferris sold most of his ownership in it.

In the fall of 1896, he and his wife separated. She had been among its first passengers. He moved to a hotel in downtown Pittsburg, PA. On November 17, 1896, he became ill with typhoid fever, dying five days later, at the age of thirty-seven. The request of his wife for his ashes was refused by the undertaker, who claimed the “deceased had closer relatives.”

The achievement of Ferris lives on, however. In the Prater, Vienna’s amusement park, the mysteries of the movie, “The Third Man,” played out near its giant wheel and landmark known as the Riesenrad.

In ushering in 2017 in London, the Queen first oversaw fireworks at Elizabeth Hall of the Tower, around Big ben, displays along the Thames, and finally, fireworks exploded from its famed Ferris wheel, the London Eye.

Where will the New Year take us as we follow Richard Morris Hunt? You may be surprised!